Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Windjammers and Yachts





Wow what a Summer for Yachts and Windjammers on Merriconeag Sound. I can't recall a Summer that we have seen so many Big Yachts anchoring in Stovers Cove. As many of you know this interests me because I spent about 13 years crewing on a Yacht as Chef and first mate with my husband. My husband, Jon actually is still a Yacht Captain on an 80ft boat based out of Kennebunkport in the Summer and Key Largo in the Winter. That is why Terrence and I have a nice Winter vacation in Florida. I wasn't quick enough to get a closer photo of the Yacht above but I would guess it is about 130ft and it is 3 stories high. Earlier in the week we had a 180ft Yacht anchored at Stovers Cove owned by a banker from Scotland. I know just the 130ft boat would easily cost $20 million. The fuel alone and crew expense is unbelievable.
Maine has some wonderful Schooner Trips that leave form the Rockland/ Camden area and do the Penobscot Bay Region. This area is a must see if you dare venture away from Bailey Island.

On the Inn front I got an interesting call from one of the room guests at 7:30am that they did not have any Hot water. I went over to check the tank and yup it was burst and spilling water all over the ground. So Thank You to the 3 rooms that bared with us while we replaced the water tank. Also we got a brand new bed in the Casco Bay Room so come try that out. Matt was fasting for about 1 hr today in preparation for the Topsham Fair and all that Carnival Food. He said he goes to take the kids on the rides but I know the real reason is the Sausage Sub and Fried Dough. Speaking of Food I made Sue and Emily a Summer Squash Casserole for lunch today with Shrimp and Artichoke Quesadia. Sue will be some sorry when we change the schedule in the Fall and we are not on the same shift.

Thank you to the Hanson's for our awesome Lake Champlain Chocolates as I am literally eating the last one. Also the Lemonicks for the great Chocolate covered Blueberry's from LL Bean. You see a Chocolate theme going on here.

One last note Congratulations to all of you who took part in my pole last week. Only 50% got it right. We have been an Inn 14 years!!! Sue is going to kill me with this weeks poll.

All the best Alicia