Saturday, May 28, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend





Memorial Day Weekend is here and what I think of as the official kickoff to the Summer Season. The area motels are open along with the ice cream shops, art galleries, restaurants and my favorite Yard Sales. Now you know it is me, Alicia and not Sue with the Yard Sale comment. Speaking of Restaurants.. after several years of suffering the bridge construction we finally have a new Restaurant open on the Island right at the Bridge. It opens today and it is called " Morse's Cribstone Grill." The Morse family ran Estes Restaurant last year and they also have a Drive In Diner in Brunswick. I look forward to trying out the new place, can't beat that view. Also did you know that is the Restaurant Sue used to own before she bought this building? It was then called Rock Ovens.

Memorial Day Weekend also is a sign of Bowdoin College Graduation. It is so nice to see the parents start staying with us Freshman Year and up here on Graduation Day. We even have many parents who continue to stay after the kids graduate. I don't think they tell the kids they still come.
The pool is open and I am still waiting for the first one in. I think I will give the first one in the pool a Log Cabin Coffee Mug ( sorry Sue).
Sad about the Navy Base decommissioning on Tuesday. I am confident that the Town will put the space to good use. The Golf Course has been bought and they have reworked all the greens and T Boxes. The Teaching Pro has taken over as General Manager and is redoing the ClubHouse as well. You can't beat the price and close location for a 9 Hole Course.

The " Garden Fairies" have been here all week and the place is blooming all around us. The lilacs are about to burst, a little late, but to me is a sure sign of Memorial Day. So Thank You to all who have served our Country as this weekend is a sure sign of Beautiful things to come.

Alicia