Saturday, October 17, 2009

End of the Season




I am trying to deny that the end of the season is near and we close in 2 weeks but since we did our Christmas Photo this week and the leaves are falling off the trees I guess it is (sadly) time.

This week Terrence and I went on the Cliff Trail behind the Harpswell Town Hall. Our intent was to get to the section that has the "Fairy Houses". This is a great time of year to do the trail because there are not any bugs and we are not sweating. Also it is just before Hunting Season. The Fairy Houses are built with only using the materials which are true to the land and not fabricated. I posted a picture of a Fairy House that our recent guest Melissa Jean made. The Cliff Trail has 2 such Fairy House Villages. There is also a great Fairy House Village at the Boothbay Botanical Gardens.

I found it interesting that we had a single older lady call this week (first timer) to make a reservation and wanted to know if this is a safe place. I actually can not think of a safer place. So I looked up and found that Maine has the lowest violent crime rate and the lowest incarceration rate in the nation. She was very happy when she got here and as it was never locked her door.

Going Green has made me aware of other areas of the State that are trying to do their part. On Kibby Mountain they just installed and put on line 22 Wind Turbines this week, with 22 more to come within the year. This will provide 50,000 homes with energy for the year. Maine was also granted by the Federal Government $8 million for the University of Maine to design and build 3 offshore wind turbine prototypes. Maine's cutting edge composites program is going to develop a lighter and more manageable equipment. Maine was also granted an additional $5 million for a composites floating wind turbine platform in the Gulf of Maine.This could create more than 17,000 jobs in the renewable energy field in the next 20 years. You watch Maine will be a national leader in the quest to become energy independent.

On to my lobster harping. Linda Bean granddaughter of famous LL Bean has bought the Java Net Cafe in Portland and plans to operate a restaurant there by November. Linda has bought several seafood business, and controls all levels of the process from the catch, to the production of the lobster rolls that she sells at stands and from a "lobstermobile" that visited the agricultural fairs this Fall. So if you are in Freeport or Portland stop buy for a lobster roll that you know is Maine caught.

We had our very good guests Bob and Joyce stay with us this week. They got Married right here in the Dining Room and are celebrating their 1 year Anniversary. Bob also brought us all Honey from his own bees.

I must say it has been an unusually cold this week, the wind just didn't stop. We have had the Fireplace going almost every day. The leaves are falling from the trees at an alarming rate. I am not looking forward to tomorrow when I participate in the Breast Cancer Walk and it is scheduled to pour rain. Seems like all my big events lately end in rain. As you can see I have linked our Facebook Page to the blog so become a Fan and get some more updates. I am hoping by next week I will be able to get the video I made on here as well.

I am still having the $25 gift certificate Dinner special from now til OCt 31st. We have also started our 20% off Gift Shop Sale. So just think with all this savings you can squeeze in 1 more trip to Maine. I almost forgot the answer to last weeks question was a tie. Half of you said we served Green Mountain Coffee in the Dining Room and half said Folgers, it is Folgers.

Alicia