Sunday, October 4, 2009

We will miss you September




I have to say this September seems to have set a record for the nicest weather. We didn't shut off the heat in the pool to the very last week. We also had our 2nd busiest September at the Inn, we were 96% full.This is a 6% increase from last year. We already have 90 room nights booked for September 2010. We had some lucky guests last Monday when Sue made a special Lobster Eggs Benedict for my Anniversary. Speaking of which the Red Sox game was rained out, in the 7 inning ( we had seats under cover) it was just as well because they were losing. It was fun though and we stayed at a great place called the Samuel Sewall House only a short walk to Fenway.

The City of Portland had a maiden visit this week from the Cruise Ship Queen Victoria. This Ship is one of 8 scheduled to be in Portland this week. The Victoria holds 2,000 passengers. It is on a 24 day Cruise starting in SouthHampton and next port of call Bar Harbor. The Fall Foliage Cruise Schedule is a Big Boom to the Maine Tourist Industry.
Quite a few of us including Room Guests went to the Cumberland Fair this week. Cumberland is about 40 min South from here. They have your typically Fair Food, which is Matt's first stop. The real first stop is the 800lb or so pumpkins. They have every animal you can imagine. They even have a child vs pig scramble. The highlight for the kids is the rides. You can easily spend the good portion of a day there, it was dark when we left. This week is the start of the Fryeburg Fair which is the "King" of the Maine Fairs and the last one of the season. It takes almost 2 hrs to get there, it is on the Western Maine/ NH Border.

Today I am making Chicken Pot Pie for Sue's Birthday Luncheon tomorrow. She informed us we were having a party for her, and which one of us was going to make her a cake. I also made Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream with the last of the Chocolate from the Hallis', Zucchini Bread, Applesauce, and shortly will head into the Kitchen to prepare the Swordfish. An update on the Traveling/ Swimming Flamingo's. Thanks to a recent guest donation the event has now raised $2,300.
Our cell phone tower is up and lit and we even may have service within 2 weeks. Some more exciting news is that a local couple has bought the Bailey Island Store once again and I see people working on it so maybe that will be open by the end of the year. I am on crusade to help save the Bailey Island Post Office which may be on the next closer list. If you could all just google Bailey Island Post Office and then sign the petion to keep it open, every signature will help. You do not need to be a resident.
My first day off this week I spent in the rain at the Red Sox Game and my 2nd day off I spent in the pouring rain at the Golf Tournament. It was nasty,windy,cold and wet. It all paid off though, I got an Eagle on the #1 Handicap Hole and won a prize. My husband also won closest to the pin and out of the 28 groups we came in 2nd, 8 under par. I will be glad when the sun comes back out.
Speaking of Sun 66 % of you were right guessing that I am in Key Largo for the Winter. It was a little tricky because Sue has a house in Key West. Good Luck this week even Sue and I had to do a little research on the Poll.
Happy Birthday to my Best Friend Sue October 5th. Of course you all know she is 59.
I am giving a Birthday Special ( which is even a surprise to Sue) Anyone who books a room any day the last 2 weeks of October and mentions my blog will get a $25 gift certificate for Dinner.

Alicia