Saturday, April 23, 2011

Bailey Island Bridge




Here are some pictures I took this morning of the newly renovated Bailey Island bridge. The top one was taken from Garrison Cove (which by the way was where I learned to swim when I was six.....and where my Aunt ran the Square Deal restaurant for 40 years.....but that is another story). For those of you who do not know, the bridge has been under renovation for the past 2 years. They built a temporary bridge beside it, and are finally taking away the last of the temporary bridge now. The second picture is of the new steps that were constructed on the south end of the bridge (by the old Rock Ovens restaurant which was also in my family for decades). The last picture is standing on the south end looking out at sunrise.

I will be so glad when all of the construction trailers and equipment are gone. I ran the above mentioned Rock Ovens for several years, and have not enjoyed seeing what is such a beautiful spot all a mess.....which, I realize is inevitable with construction. I just have trouble looking at "mess", and will be glad to see it all gone. The "Rock Ovens" is suppose to reopen this year. It is no longer in my family, and I am not sure what is will be called, or exactly when it will open. It will be nice to have another restaurant on the island.

Well, it is Easter weekend. We have been open for 3 weeks now. The yard is looking great....green grass, daffodils blooming, almost time to go flower shopping! Must go do some Inn tasks.

Hope you are all well! Sue