Thursday, March 12, 2009

Maine scallops

I received a phone call last night around 8pm, from Terence, a local fisherman. He said "Sue, I have your scallops!" I asked do you want me to get them right now? He said no, morning was okay...I asked if he would bring them, or should I go to his house....we have purchased scallops from him for years. Anyhow, he said he would bury them in the snow for the night and leave the shovel. I asked if I should leave a check in the door....he said no because of the dog. When I asked if the dog would leave the scallops alone, but eat the check....he replied, no he might eat you!

So, I went to his house this morning, saw a big snow bank and a shovel, but could not find the scallops. I did hear the dog in the house. I rang the bell to see if his wife was there--she was. Good thing, as she moved the shovel and it took us a long time to find the scallops! (Terence had also warned me that I may need 4 wheel drive to get in his driveway--it is mud season).

This is one thing I love about living in Maine. You can get the freshest seafood, from a local fisherman--and it is always an adventure!

The fishing industry in Maine has been hit hard with the recession. First, the lobstermen could not sell their lobsters, and the market went south...and when they did, the price was ridiculously low. The Maine shrimp market is also soft. Then the State of Maine cut back the scallop season, and put restrictions on where the scallops could be harvested from. Fisherman are self-employed, self insured....and cannot collect unemployment. It is a sad state of affairs.

We will do our part at the Log Cabin Island Inn to support the local fisherman. We ran lobster specials last season, and purchased many lobsters to pick and freeze. So, when you come to stay with us, please enjoy the local seafood (lobster, shrimp and scallops) not just to please your taste buds, but to support the fishing industry!

So long for now from Bailey Island!

Sue