Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Reversing Falls




This has been a crazy busy week, for me anyway. The tulips at the Inn have gone by ,  Victoria and I have been cutting those away making room for our  famous Dahlia's. If all goes well those should be in bloom by Mid August. The Poppies are in  bloom along with the Iris'. The purple Iris' are filling the front garden and we are waiting for the yellow ones to open. We have Purple and White Lupine in bloom. I am not sure what happened to the pink. It must be around here somewhere.  The recent rainfall has given the Vegetable garden a boost and the lettuce is ready to pick.

I stopped in at a new Gallery on Orrs Island called Meraki. It is where Hatch used to be. They have Maine craftsman with a variety of things from pottery, to paintings to jewelry. Stop by and say Hi.  The Salt Cod Cafe is also open on the Orrs Island side of the Bridge. My son swears by the Strawberry Rhubarb Pie with crumb topping. They make take out sandwich's and have great chowder as well.

Saturday I did the Harpswell Hiking Challenge and was at the Ground breaking of the new Devil's Back East Trail. What a great trail. I think it is my new favorite Town Trail. If you go at mid to low tide you can see the Seals on what appropriately is named Seal Rock. Ironically we happen to cross paths with Matt and the Boys while on the hike. The challenge was 8 trails, 10 miles in 2 days. One of the trails happen to take us by Erica's Seafood in South Harpswell where I got my favorite Lobster/ Crab Roll Combo. Again since I was over that way I decided to go to the Reversing Falls. I have heard about the Falls but have never seen it. It is the result of an old Gris Mill that collapsed into the water. It creates a fickle tidal current that flows in and out of Basin Cove. You can access it by Basin Cove Rd, the property to park at is Town owned but be respectful of the close neighborhood.
I keep getting emails of Fun Facts about Maine Trivia so I thought I would share them with you. Maine has 16 counties, 22 cities, 435 towns,33 plantations, 424 unorganized townships and 3 Indian Reservations.

I topped off the end of the week with a fabulous 50th Birthday Luncheon at the Inn. When I was young a 50 year old was a very old. Now 50 is the new 30 :).  I'll let you know if that's how feel at the end of the Season.

Blessings,

Alicia