Saturday, May 26, 2012

Bowdoin graduation

So, the class of 2012 will be graduating from Bowdoin College this morning. The weather here on Bailey Island is currently 60 degrees and foggy. But, if the weather folks are correct, the wind should turn soon, and the sun will heat us up to the 80's. If so, that was the weather the day the graduating class of 1991 graduated at Bowdoin as well. The graduation was outside, and the weather was beastly!! It was especially hot in a cap and gown! I speak from experience, as I was one of the graduates that day! My sons, Matt and Adam were there, Aimee also, and my Dad, who was 88 years old. My brother Bob came also, and was worried about Dad in the heat.....he was just fine.....and very proud! As you can surmise, for those of you who have not met me, I was not 20 years old. (Ok, I was  40!). My husband, Neal, who was also there, kids me about the fact that it took me 23 years to graduate....says I am a slow learner! I started college back in 1968 at Bates (where my brother Bob graduated from).....took classes over the years at U. Maine.....and finally, finished at Bowdoin!  Bowdoin is a great college, and congrats to the new class of graduates!

Also, this past week, I went to the Boothbay Botanical Gardens. They have a "Rhodie" garden that is absolutely spectacular right now. The picture above is one of my rhodies.....the botanical gardens must have over 200......and every variety possible. They really are breath-taking! Boothbay is about a 45 minute ride from here, and I suggest all go visit when they are here.

Well, I am in the middle of cooking breakfast.....so, I must go! Have a Happy Memorial weekend all! Sue