Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Independence and Strawberries

I would like to start out by saying I am looking out the window with the sun shining but that would be a lie so I will not even speak of the 24 days of rain,clouds and fog that we have had.

When I think of 4th of July I think of Strawberry's. The Strawberry's seem to like the rain because I have heard reports that this is a great year. While driving down the road there are many people camped out in their cars selling them while dodging the rain drops. If you are adventurous like Matt, Aimee and the kids you can go pick them at several locations in the area. I also think of the yearly Ice Cream and Strawberry Social that has been at the Bailey Island Library Hall for more years than I can remember. The "true" Strawberry Shortcake is only with nice homemade biscuits which I happen to have in the oven right now. If you are not into shortcake there is of course Strawberry Pancakes,Jelly or Daiquiri's.

I have often reported on how our guests bring us some great gifts. This week I must say happens to be the most bizarre gift as of yet. The Lewis' of N.H. showed up with a Santa Claus Suit. I am not sure if this is so we remember them every time we look at our Christmas Card but gave us a good laugh on a rainy day.

Cooks Restaurant is hosting the Fireworks this year on the 3rd. The best spot to watch them is from the decks of our rooms. Happy 4th to All and travel safe.

Alicia