Monday, October 25, 2010

Harvest Time





As I reflect on this past season I think this year the food meant more to me than any other year. Many of you know that we have a small Vegetable and Herb Garden on the South Side of the lawn. This year we also augmented it with buying a Crop Share at Crystal Springs Farm in Brunswick. Sue went every Friday and came back with a load of vegetables that she then in turn would challenge me to use. I thought the Crop Share was such a great idea that I bought in for my house. You would arrive at the Farm on a Tues or Fri and many baskets would be set up to chose from. Then they open up the gardens and you could pick several different things each week. They always had herbs and flowers but could also have tomato's or green beans, etc.
They sell different things at the Farm as well such as eggs, milk, lamb, pork and beef. Last year I bought a full share of lamb. This year I am giving the lamb a break and bought 1/2 share on a pig. We just got the pork delivered and I had some chops last night that were the biggest I have ever seen and oh so good.

It is so exciting to see that we can eat and provide so much of our menu at the Inn locally. We get our lobster every day from a friend and local lobsterman. Our scallops are caught by another friend right here in Casco Bay. Both the shrimp and haddock are native to Maine and we have a better Filet than most Steak House's. Sue has challenged me with some very tasty Dinner Specials this Season and it was great to try new things. I know many people have not been able to take advantage of our Dining Room but I think if you are here between 6-6:30pm you will not be sorry that you chose us. Especially when you don't have to drive anywhere and our desserts are also made here.

Six more nights and we close. As usual Terrence and I will be headed to Florida for Jan, Feb, and March. I will let Aimee do all the work opening up and return in April when the mess is cleaned up.

Blessings Alicia